“Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children’s lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land” – Luna Leopold
Access to fresh water is essential for human well-being and our economy. Will we be effective stewards of our water resources in the coming decades? The answer to this question depends on whether we continue to invest the new knowledge, tools, and expertise to manage our water resources in an ever-changing world.
UW-Madison hosts a stunningly wide range of research, educational, and outreach activities related to water and water resources. These activities are distributed across the UW-Madison campus and beyond. The mission of Water@UW-Madison is to serve as a bridge between the numerous faculty, staff, and students with water interests on campus. Through fostering these connections, Water@UW-Madison has helped to create a vibrant and ever-growing water community on campus that continues to serve the needs of the state as it addresses these vital questions on water security. We endeavor to:
- Foster connection and communication among members of the UW-Madison water community including faculty, PIs, graduate students, postdocs, and research staff;
- Convey information about the scope and diversity of water research at the UW-Madison to people both within and outside the university
- Provide information about graduate opportunities to prospective graduate students
- Foster interdisciplinary and cross departmental research, instruction, and outreach; and
- Strengthen bridges between UW-Madison’s water research and research being done at other UW system campuses, private colleges, government agencies, non-government organizations, and civil society in Wisconsin and beyond.
Water@UW-Madison hosts many activities on campus including a poster session in the fall and a campus-wide symposium in the spring. We also send out a weekly newsletter containing information on upcoming water-related events and opportunities on campus.
How Can I Participate?
While most Water@UW-Madison events and publications are designed to serve UW-Madison faculty, academic staff, and graduate students, any person interested in becoming a part of the water community on campus may participate in Water@UW-Madison activities. You can stay informed on upcoming events and opportunities for participation by signing up to receive email communications and our weekly newsletter. Signing up is easy and free simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Have a question, comment, or water-related event you’d like advertised? Email us at email@example.com.